Everyone needs one thing: a little more adventure in their lives. It is so easy to get caught up in routine- wake up, go to work, make dinner, clean the house, go to bed, repeat step one. As kids, there is no way we would be enjoying life if we followed that routine every single day. Do your inner child a favour and read my eight simple steps on how to have an adventure by yourself!
Read more: My favourite destinations for first time solo travel
How To Have An Adventure By Yourself: The 8 Steps
1. Pick a day within the next 30 days (your next day off!)
2. Look at a map. A real map. Bonus tip: Use an ordnance survey map!
3. Get a marker, and place a pin on the map where you live.
4. What is the furthest you can travel? For example if you only have the budget to drive someplace within two hours of your location, work out roughly how many kilometres that is. Tie a piece of string to a pen, and tie the other end to the pin on that map. Draw a circle around the pin. This is the area you can travel within.
5. Study the area. Find a place you haven’t visited before. Don’t overthink it too much. Just pick a place. Your place could be a bush area, where there are a few hikes to choose between. It could be a museum or art gallery. It could be a beach.
6. Pack some snacks, and head on your adventure.
7. Allow yourself to just be. Turn your phone off for an hour or so; dedicate your senses to what is around you. This is the most important step of all. Immerse yourself in the experience.
8. Take a notepad and a pen. Write down any thoughts or realisations that you have.
Read: Why I hiked the length of Scotland solo
Read: Should you settle down or travel the world?
Monday 8th of July 2019
I do this all the time. Quite often I will head off without knowing where I will eventually end up.
A small day rucksack Water Healthy snacks And a sense of adventure. What else do you need? Spending a fortune not required.
Ruth Anne Caukwell
Wednesday 15th of March 2017
Hi Wayfaring Kiwi - as I am myself a proud 'Kiwi' just love your blog post! I love just 'taking off' with a thermos in the car (and snacks as well), and just go...! so what you wrote was an inspiration for me to do more of it, thanks heaps regards Ruth
Wednesday 1st of March 2017
Love this! ♡